A lot’s happening at IMAX. We’re growing domestically and internationally and we’re constantly working with studios to ensure that the most highly-anticipated blockbusters are going to be featured in IMAX® theaters. From new theaters in Azerbaijan to your favorite movies being filmed with IMAX® cameras, the excitement is boiling over for us and we’d like to share it with you.
The Dark Knight Rises
The anticipation that surrounds The Dark Knight Rises, the completion to Christopher Nolan’s Gotham trilogy, has skyrocketed after last week’s announcement that tickets are now available for presale. Fans swarmed to IMAX websites across the globe to be the first to see The Dark Knight Rises, which will feature an unprecedented amount of footage filmed with the IMAX camera, in the preferred IMAX format. The frenzy for tickets didn’t stop there, AMC Theaters later announced that die-hard Batman fans will have the opportunity to see the entire trilogy, from Batman Begins leading to the midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises in IMAX theaters. Check here for tickets.
Upcoming Movies in IMAX
IMAX is committed to bringing out-of-this-world, edge of your seat, mind-blowing films to our screens. Like Christopher Nolan, many directors have taken their enthusiasm for IMAX to the next level by shooting with IMAX cameras. We recently announced that two of the most highly-anticipated films of 2013 will be featured in IMAX. The sequel to J.J. Abrams’ 2009 blockbuster Star Trek will be released in IMAX on May 17, 2013 and shortly after, Liongate’s Hunger Games:Catching Fire will open on November 22, 2013. Both films will feature sequences shot with the extremely high-resolution IMAX cameras. Exclusively in IMAX theatres, these sequences will expand to fill the entire screen with unprecedented crispness and clarity, putting moviegoers right into the action.
IMAX is continuing to share the ultimate IMAX Experience® throughout the world. Recently, we announced the addition of new theaters coming to Canada, Russia, China, Singapore, Azerbaijan. The IMAX theatre in Azerbaijan will be opening its first theatre in the capital city of Baku and is scheduled to open in October 2012. Our newest theatres in Canada will be located in Kingston, Ontario, and Edmonton, Alberta. These theatres are scheduled to open in December 2012 and May 2013. We will install install three new theatres in Russia in the cities of Anapa, Ulan Ude, and Samara. Anapa’s theatre is scheduled to open this July and Ulan Ude and Samara’s theatre is scheduled to open in September 2013. Our new Chinese theatre is scheduled to open this September in Tianjin. The addition of the new IMAX theatre in Punggol, Singapore will bring the total number of IMAX theatres open or contracted to be open in the Asia Pacific region to 311. We’re thrilled to open our new theatres and introduce the IMAX Experience® to more moviegoers across the globe.
Of course, we could go on and on about us but we’ll hold off for now. Until then, check out Rock of Ages in IMAX for “Nothing but a good time” and find out more info here .
Check out the recent buzz about IMAX:
- Film School Rejects: Will ‘The Hunger Games:Catching Fire’ and ‘Star Trek’ Sequel Shooting in IMAX Kill 3D?
- MTV: 'Star Trek 2' Confirmed For IMAX 3-D Release
- MTV: The 'Catching Fire' In IMAX: Time To Embrace The Big, Big Screen?
- The Chicago Tribune: IMAX converts 'Batman Begins' for trilogy screening: Nolan's Bat trio to screen July 19 before midnight 'Dark Knight Rises'
- The Hollywood Reporter: IMAX Sells First Theater to Azerbaijan as Russian Footprint Grows
- The Hollywood Reporter: Rock of Ages' Set For IMAX Run
- Film Business Asia: Bona adds first IMAX screen
- Canadian Business: Empire orders Imax theatres for new complexes in Ontario, Alberta
- Edmonton Journal: Empire expands with new northeast IMAX theatre
- The Hollywood Reporter: IMAX Grows Russian Footprint with Three New Theaters