- Operating leverage drives approximately 15% growth in adjusted net income in the second quarter compared to Q2 2013, contributing to $21.3 million in cash flow from operations in the quarter
- IMAX installs 30 new theaters across 13 countries in Q2, including 12 new theaters in China
- Company signs deals for 24 theater systems in the second quarter, bringing backlog to 419 theaters
NEW YORK, July 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IMAX Corporation (NYSE: IMAX; TSX: IMX) today reported second quarter 2014 revenues of $79.1 million, adjusted EBITDA as calculated in accordance with the Company's credit facility of $32.8 million, adjusted net income, after non-controlling interest, of $17.2 million, or $0.25 per diluted share, and reported net income, after non-controlling interest, of $13.3 million, or $0.19 per diluted share.
"During the second quarter, we showed operating leverage, delivering strong growth in net earnings, which translated to operating cash flow growth in the period. Our bottom line financials reflected expanding margins and continued cost controls," stated Richard L. Gelfond, Chief Executive Officer of IMAX Corporation. "We also made strides in the quarter with respect to key 2014 initiatives, including expanding the network, developing our world-class laser projection system and testing new marketing strategies, which we believe will help further position us to take full advantage of the potentially very strong film slates in 2015 and 2016."
Network Growth Update
The total IMAX® theater network consisted of 868 systems as of June 30, 2014, of which 735 were in commercial multiplexes. There were 419 theaters in backlog as of June 30, 2014, compared to 284 in backlog as of June 30, 2013. In the second quarter of 2014, the Company signed contracts for 24 theaters, of which 20 were for new locations and 4 were for upgrades. In the quarter, the Company installed 34 IMAX theater systems, 30 of which were for new theater locations and 12 of which were installed in China. For a breakdown of theater system signings, installations, network and backlog by type, please see the end of this press release.
"The IMAX network has grown significantly in China over the past several years, from just 9 theaters in 2008 to over 160 today, and just this week we announced another deal for 19 theaters in China with Shanghai Film Company," Gelfond continued. "Couple this with stellar box office performances from films such as Transformers 4, which has become our biggest grossing film ever in China, and I believe it is clear how strong our business and brand have become in China. It is with this in mind that we announced earlier in the quarter the strategic investment by two Chinese investors for 20% of our IMAX China business, which we believe can help us further grow that business and unlock significant value for our IMAX shareholders."
Second-Quarter Segment Results
- Revenue from sales and sales-type leases was $14.5 million in the second quarter of 2014, compared to $17.1 million in the second quarter of 2013, in connection with the installation of 11 full, new theater systems under sales and sales-type lease arrangements in the most recent second quarter, compared to the 11 sales and sales-type theaters the Company installed in the second quarter of 2013. In addition, there were 4 digital system upgrades, of which two were under a short term operating lease, in existing locations in the second quarter of 2014, compared to one upgrade in the second quarter of 2013.
- Revenue from joint revenue-sharing arrangements was $19.4 million in the quarter, compared to $18.3 million in the prior-year period. During the quarter, the Company installed 19 new theaters under joint revenue-sharing arrangements, compared to 18 in the year-ago period. The Company had 408 theaters operating under joint revenue-sharing arrangements as of June 30, 2014, as compared to 336 theaters one year prior.
- Production and IMAX DMR® (Digital Re-Mastering) revenues were $24.1 million in the second quarter of 2014, compared to $26.0 million in the second quarter of 2013. Gross box office from DMR titles was $216.0 million in the second quarter of 2014, compared to $219.7 million in the prior-year period. The average global DMR box office per screen in the second quarter of 2014 was $299,800 compared to $353,300 in the prior-year period.
The Company will host a conference call today at 8:30 AM ET to discuss its second quarter 2014 financial results. To access the call via telephone, interested parties in the US and Canada should dial (800) 524-8950 approximately 5 to 10 minutes before it begins. International callers should dial (416) 260-0113. The participant passcode for the call is 1883257. This call is also being webcast by Thomson Financial and can be accessed on the 'Investor Relations' section of www.imax.com. A replay of the call will be available via webcast on the 'Investor Relations' section of www.imax.com or via telephone by dialing (888) 203-1112 (US and Canada), or (647) 436-0148 (international). The Conference ID for the telephone replay is 1883257
About IMAX Corporation
IMAX, an innovator in entertainment technology, combines proprietary software, architecture and equipment to create experiences that take you beyond the edge of your seat to a world you've never imagined. Top filmmakers and studios are utilizing IMAX theaters to connect with audiences in extraordinary ways, and, as such, IMAX's network is among the most important and successful theatrical distribution platforms for major event films around the globe.
IMAX is headquartered in New York, Toronto and Los Angeles, with offices in London, Tokyo, Shanghai and Beijing. As of June 30, 2014, there were 868 IMAX theaters (735 commercial multiplexes, 19 commercial destinations and 114 institutions) in 59 countries.
IMAX®, IMAX® 3D, IMAX DMR®, Experience It In IMAX®, An IMAX 3D Experience®, The IMAX Experience®, IMAX Is Believing® and IMAX nXos® are trademarks of IMAX Corporation. More information about the Company can be found at www.imax.com. You may also connect with IMAX on Facebook (www.facebook.com/imax), Twitter (www.twitter.com/imax) and YouTube (www.youtube.com/imaxmovies).
This press release contains forward looking statements that are based on IMAX management's assumptions and existing information and involve certain risks and uncertainties which could cause actual results to differ materially from future results expressed or implied by such forward looking statements. Important factors that could affect these statements include, but are not limited to, general economic, market or business conditions; the opportunities (or lack thereof) that may be presented to and pursued by the Company; the performance of IMAX DMR films; competitive actions by other companies; conditions in the in-home and out-of-home entertainment industries; the signing of theater system agreements; changes in laws or regulations; conditions, changes and developments in the commercial exhibition industry; the failure to convert theater system backlog into revenue; risks associated with investments and operations in foreign jurisdictions and any future international expansion, including those related to economic, political and regulatory policies of local governments and laws and policies of the United States and Canada; risks related to the Company's growth and operations in China; the failure to respond to change and advancements in digital technology; risks related to the acquisition of AMC Entertainment Holdings, Inc. by Dalian Wanda Group Co., Ltd.; risks related to new business initiatives; the potential impact of increased competition in the markets within which the Company operates; risks related to the Company's inability to protect the Company's intellectual property; risks related to Eastman Kodak bankruptcy and the possibility of constrained film supply; risks related to the Company's implementation of a new enterprise resource planning system; risks related to the Company's prior restatements and the related litigation; and other factors, many of which are beyond the control of the Company. These factors, other risks and uncertainties and financial details are discussed in IMAX's most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q.