IMAX Teams up with All American High School Film Festival to Provide Unique Opportunity to Student Film Programs
IMAX recently launched the first component of its In Focus program to showcase the work of young filmmakers and encourage them to create content that inspires audiences to improve the planet. Specifically, IMAX has tasked student filmmakers with developing short documentaries to raise awareness of some of today’s most pressing environmental, societal and economic issues. IMAX will award $5,000 grants to four high schools and a non-profit film workshop selected by the All-American High School Film Festival (AAHSFF) as exemplary programs.
IMAX formally announced the grant recipients last weekend during the 2016 All American High School Film Festival, which is the world’s largest annual festival for high school filmmakers. Each of the selected programs has been asked to produce an eight-minute documentary, as well as related content for social media, including Instagram and Snapchat posts.
The recipients of IMAX grants for the 2016-2017 school year are:
– Woodrow Wilson High School, Washington, D.C.
– University School of Nova Southeastern University, a college preparatory school in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
– Ballard High School’s digital filmmaking program in Seattle
– Canyon Crest Academy in San Diego
– Mythic Bridge, public non-profit youth filmmaking workshop in New York City
Partnering with the UN Environment, the In Focus initiative is a component of IMAX Big Picture, the corporate social responsibility program launched in March to leverage the power of film to mobilize action and effect positive change. The selected recipients – which represent a diverse cross-section of students – will create short films that raise awareness of the UN’s 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, as told through the lens of today’s youth.
Each of the selected student film programs will create original content to specifically address at least one of the following UN sustainable development goals:
– Climate action, which calls for efforts to stem greenhouse gas emissions, which scientists cite as a major factor in the earth’s changing weather patterns, rising sea levels and extreme weather events.
– Life below water, encouraging people, enterprises and nations to conserve and sustainably use oceans, seas and marine resources. According to the UN, some 3 billion people depend on marine and coastal biodiversity for their livelihoods.
– Life on land, encouraging people, enterprises and nations to sustainably manage forests, and halt and reverse land degradation. According to the UN, forests account for a third of the earth’s surface, highlighting the global imperative to reverse deforestation.
IMAX Hosted Special Screening of A Beautiful Planet at 2016 High School Film Fest With Q&A With Director Toni Myers
AAHSFF festival participants gathered at the AMC Empire 25 & IMAX in New York City for a special screening of A Beautiful Planet which also featured a Q&A between Director Toni Myers and founder Andrew Jenks. Toni covered a range of topics from her experience training astronauts to film in space using IMAX cameras to working with organizations like NASA, to sifting through more than one terabyte of footage captured by talented astronauts to make A Beautiful Planet. Many students stuck around after the screening to get one-on-one time with Toni to get advice on their existing projects.
IMAX Honored Aspiring Young Atlanta Filmmaker, Tim Glover, as the recipient of IMAX Big Picture In Focus Award For His Film, N-Touch.
In addition to the work done directly with the student film programs, IMAX took notice of a special young filmmaker Tim Glover at this year’s Atlanta Sci Fi Film Festival for his short N Touch. Glover, a self-taught director, writer, filmmaker, and film enthusiast, was presented a special IMAX Big Picture In Focus award for his outstanding work as a young filmmaker.
Along with the award, Tim will receive $2,500 to use towards the development of his next film. He will also receive an all-expense paid trip to Hollywood to tour the IMAX Entertainment offices and more! You can learn more about Tim Glover and check out his work on his website.