Welcome back to another edition of Friday Feature, IMAX fans!
This weekend marks the exciting global launch of Universal Pictures’ eighth and newest chapter in the mega-blockbuster Fast and Furious saga — The Fate of the Furious.
In celebration of the film’s release in IMAX® theatres worldwide, we’re highlighting eight (because obviously) fun facts from the Fast and Furious franchise, with a special spotlight on the latest installment:
1. IMAX-Sized Footprint: Opening at more than 1,070 IMAX locations worldwide, The Fate of the Furious — the fourth film of the franchise to be released in IMAX — marks the widest same-day global launch for an IMAX release to date.
2. Rare Bird: Only 81 Local Motors’ Rally Fighters® — the vehicle Michelle Rodriguez’s character “Letty” drives in the film — exist in the world today. One of them was seen driving in the L.A.-area last weekend as part of an IMAX-sponsored activation.
3. Dynamic Duo: Including The Fate of the Furious, as well as its three predecessors, stars Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson collectively have starred in 12 films to have been released in IMAX.
4. New to the Family: The Fate of the Furious marks the first IMAX release for director F. Gary Gray, who previously helmed such films as Straight Outta Compton and The Italian Job (2003).
5. Golden Newcomers: Academy Award® winners Charlize Theron and Helen Mirren (in an uncredited role) mark the first Oscar®-winning actors to join the franchise in The Fate of the Furious. (Furious 7 featured Oscar® nominee Dijmon Honsou.)
6. Family Ties: The Fate of the Furious reunites director F. Gary Gray with stars Theron and Jason Statham, both of whom starred in 2003’s The Italian Job.
Fate, meanwhile, marks the third IMAX release for both Theron and Statham.
7. Game-On (Again) in IMAX: The Fate of the Furious features popular Game of Thrones stars — Nathalie Emmanuel and Kristofer Hivju — both of whom previously graced the IMAX screen for the first time when IMAX released the final two episodes of Season 4 in 2015.
8. Sound Master: Legendary sound editor Mark Stoeckinger has worked on an impressive eight films to date which have received IMAX releases, including Star Trek (2009), Prometheus, Iron Man 3, Edge of Tomorrow, John Wick, The Finest Hours, Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, and now, The Fate of the Furious.
And there you have ‘em! Go experience the action for yourself in IMAX!
CLICK HERE to get tickets to experience The Fate of the Furious in IMAX.
— By Andrew Stewart, Manager, Corporate Communications